Monday, September 6, 2010

Settled In

New Coworkers
Our dirndls are by far our best purchase ever!
Trudy's favorite view on the hwy
New Coworkers Part Deux






Morning view in Altausee outside the Bierzelt
Please pardon the huge pictures and lack of efficient formatting, but I'm still attempting to learn how this blogspot system works!  Its been a week and I'm almost settled in Austria.  Its pretty unbelievable that I actually live here, especially when looking out my room every morning at the incredible view of the Untersberg Mtn Range.  My room is tiny but sufficient and brings be back to college, just a bit.

We started work this past week, but kids just started arriving yesterday.  I'm teaching a girls section of health, gym, assisting with Environmental Science, and finally, and most importantly, telling kids they're faking sick when they try to get out of tests and projects.  I've found rather quickly that my lack of German language skills is rather annoying, so tonight my studies begin!

This past weekend Gena and Chelsea were still in town and we ventured a little southeast to the small town of Altaussee for their "Altausseer Bierzelt," translated to  . . . Altaussee Beertent.  Simple and to the point.  Also, we loved it!  We were just a BIT afraid while I was attempting to drive stick up the giant curvy mountain in the pitch black to our guesthouse, but survived long enough to enjoy some tasty beers and chickens the following day.  On Sunday I ventured to Konigssee, in Germany, with a coworker to check out the gorgeous lake.  It was a pretty huge tourist trap, but the view, which reminded me of the norwegian fjords, minus the ocean, was worth the little walk up the hill.     

It has definitely been an exciting first week and I'm sure its going to continue . . . . though, I might end up broke while trying to enjoy it all!  

2 comments:

  1. It looks so beautiful! Do you think your kids need a guest speaker on pacemakers? I need SJM to buy me a ticket to visit you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got settled in and met some of your coworkers. Looks to me that you're having a fantastic time!!! Miss you TONS!

    ReplyDelete